Christmas Chocolate Fruit Cake Recipe
We're always looking for new and exciting topics to talk about here on the UK Christmas World blog. We will be posting exciting Christmas recipes for everyone to try so come Christmas Day there should be no excuses not to have your dinner table filled with fun new Christmas food for you and your family to tuck in to.
Nigella Lawson’s Christmas Chocolate Fruit Cake Recipe
12 1/4 ounces (350 grams) dried soft prunes, chopped
8 3/4 ounces (250 grams) raisins
4 1/2 ounces(125 grams) currants
6 1/4 ounces (175 grams) unsalted butter, softened
6 1/4 (175 grams) dark muscovado sugar
6 1/4 fluid ounces (175 ml) honey
4 1/2 fluid ounces (125 ml) coffee liqueur
2 oranges, zested and juiced
1 teaspoon mixed spice
2 tablespoons good quality cocoa
3 free-range eggs, beaten
5 1/4 ounces (150 grams) plain flour
2 1/2 ounces (75 grams) ground almonds
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 -ounce (25 grams) dark chocolate-covered coffee beans
Gold mini balls
About 10 edible gold stars
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C).
- Line the sides and bottom of an 8 by 3 1/2-inch deep, round loose-bottomed cake tin with a layer of reusable silicon baking parchment. When lining the tin with the parchment, cut the material into strips that are twice as high as the tin itself (it is easier to use two shorter strips of parchment, than one long strip); the height of the strips protects the cake from catching on the outside of the cake tin.
- Place the fruit, butter, sugar, honey, coffee liqueur, orange zest and juice, mixed spice and cocoa into a large wide saucepan. Heat the mixture until it reaches a gentle boil, stirring the mixture as the butter melts. Let the mixture simmer for 10 minutes. Remove the saucepan from the heat and leave to stand for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, the mixture will have cooled a little. Add the eggs, flour, ground almonds, baking powder and baking soda, and mix well with a wooden spoon or spatula until the ingredients have combined.
- Carefully pour the fruitcake mixture into the lined cake tin. Transfer the cake tin to the oven and bake for 1 3/4 to 2 hours, or until the top of the cake is firm but will has a shiny and sticky look. At this point, if you insert a sharp knife into the middle of the cake, the cake should still be a little uncooked in the middle.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack. Once the cake has cooled, remove it from the tin.
- To decorate, place the chocolate-covered coffee beans in the centre of the cake and arrange the gold stars around the perimeter of the top of the cake. Then sprinkle some gold mini-balls over the whole cake and sprinkle the top with edible glitter.
And there you have it, a delicious Christmas Chocolate Fruit Cake in a few simple steps. If you have used this recipe we would love to see how your cake turned out, please send in pictures of your efforts.
Happy cooking everyone!